And now, for my top ten news stories of 2008. Again, as with my ‘Top Ten Quotes of 2008,” there were some tricky choices. But there were also other ones that were too obvious for inclusion on the top ten list.
10. The banning of Hindraf
9. The disarray within UMNO
8. The Altantuya trial verdict
7. The arrest of Raja Petra Kamaruddin and Teresa Kok under ISA
6. The Bala Subramaniam episode
5. Anwar’s victory in Permatang Pauh
4. Anwar’s campaign to depose the BN regime by 16th September
3. Badawi’s decision to relinquish the UMNO hot seat
2. The Saiful-Anwar Sodomy saga
1. March 8, 2008
As we ring in the New Year in a few days, many of us will sing the famous words of ‘Auld Lang Syne’:
Should old acquaintances be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?
Lest we forget, far too many Malaysians of all races, ages and faiths remain marginalised, victims of discrimination, and many others remain prisoners only for their ideals and beliefs.
May we have the strength to serve and promote a morally just cause greater than our own self-interest.